Research Associate, Protein Sciences Group - Purification/Process Development
Surrozen is a biopharmaceutical startup founded by world-leading scientists from Stanford University, Drs. Chris Garcia, Roel Nusse, Calvin Kuo and Claudia Janda. The company is focused on harnessing the Wnt pathway to identify novel therapeutics for regenerative medicine, leveraging breakthrough insights from its founders in protein engineering, stem cell dynamics, and fundamental Wnt biology.
This position is a great opportunity for both experienced associates to expand their skills to accelerate therapeutics discovery for regenerative medicine, and for energetic new graduates with passion for Biotech research in an industrial setting.
- Purify a wide variety of recombinant proteins including antibodies and antibody-based constructs using state-of-the-art techniques affinity, ion-exchange (IEX), gel-filtration (SEC), reverse-phase chromatography
- Optimize expression systems to maximize protein production output and product quality
- Support small scale protein purification for in vitro assessments as well as large scale purification for preclinical studies
- Use and maintain protein purification systems, with high throughput platforms being particularly desirable (e.g, Protein Maker, 96-well micro-purification, etc.)
- Coordinate activities with functional groups and project teams
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in Protein Biochemistry, Structural Biology or related disciplines.
- Experience with directed undergraduate research, internships, or industry experience is desired
- Exceptional candidates will have prior experience in one or more of the following: AKTA-FPLC systems, affinity purification, ion exchange chromatography, protein biophysical characterization
- Ability to work in a highly dynamic and fast paced environment to contribute to multiple projects
- Extra attention to detail, self-motivation, and creative thinking are essential
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills
- We offer a dynamic start-up environment and a collaborative, passionate team
- Excellent benefits, including competitive employer contributions
- Stock options
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Shuttle service to/from Caltrain, BART and the SSF Ferry
- State of the art research facility complete with bowling alley and onsite gym (see the amenities available at The Cove: http://leasing.covessf.com/toc.cfm)