Research Associate, Protein Sciences Group, Molecular Biology/Protein Expression
Surrozen is a biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing novel regenerative medicines with a focus on unlocking the powerful self-renewal properties of the body through specific control of the Wnt signaling pathway.
Surrozen was founded by five leading-edge scientists: K. Christopher Garcia, Ph.D., Roel Nusse, Ph.D. and Calvin Kuo, M.D., Ph.D. from Stanford University; Claudia Janda, Ph.D. from the Princess Maxima Center for Pediatric Oncology; and Hans Clevers, M.D, Ph.D. from the Hubrecht Institute and Princess Maxima Center. Each has conducted extensive research on Wnt signaling, with findings that together shape Surrozen’s technology and approach to therapeutic development.
This position is a great opportunity for both experienced associates to expand their skills to accelerate therapeutics discovery for regenerative medicine, and for energetic new graduates with passion for Biotech research in an industrial setting.
- Produce recombinant DNA clones using state-of-the-art molecular biology protocols and perform routine plasmid preps
- Perform plasmid-transfection into mammalian cells for small to medium scale recombinant protein expression
- Follow SOPs and perform modern purification techniques like affinity, and SEC chromatography on AKTA-FPLCs to produce a wide variety of recombinant proteins including antibodies and antibody-based constructs
- Optimize expression systems to maximize protein production output and product quality
- Stable cell line generation and managing cell inventory
- Coordinate activities with functional groups and project teams
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in Molecular Biology, Protein Biochemistry or related disciplines.
- Experience with directed undergraduate research, internships, or industry experience is desired
- Exceptional candidates will have prior experience in one or more of the following: SDS-PAGE, AKTA-FPLC systems, affinity purification, mammalian cell culture, and/or recombinant protein expression
- Ability to work in a highly dynamic and fast paced environment to contribute to multiple projects
- Extra attention to detail, self-motivation, and creative thinking are essential
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills
- We offer a dynamic start-up environment and a collaborative, passionate team
- Excellent benefits, including competitive employer contributions
- Stock options
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Shuttle service to/from Caltrain, BART and the SSF Ferry
- State of the art research facility complete with bowling alley and onsite gym (see the amenities available at The Cove: http://leasing.covessf.com/toc.cfm)