Research Associate, Discovery Biology/Molecular Biology
Surrozen is an innovative biopharmaceutical startup founded by Drs. Chris Garcia, Roel Nusse, Calvin Kuo and Claudia Janda, world-leading scientists from Stanford University. The company is focused on harnessing the Wnt pathway to identify novel therapeutics for regenerative medicine, leveraging our founders breakthrough insights in protein engineering, stem cell dynamics, and fundamental Wnt biology. Funded by The Column Group, a leading biotech venture capital firm, Surrozen is poised for robust growth and offers a stimulating work environment, competitive compensation and benefits, and an attractive relocation program.
We are seeking a creative, self-motivated individual with a passion for experimental science to join our founding team. This is a fantastic opportunity to work on cutting edge science and take part in building an exciting, science driven company.
- Maintain mammalian cell culture and apply gene expression studies and in vitro functional assays (e.g., RT-qPCR, reporter assays, FACS analysis).
- Develop and optimize protocols for primary cell isolation, including the use of FACS/MACS, in preparation for scRNA-seq.
- Investigate gene expression in tissue samples by RT-qPCR, RNA in situ hybridization, and immunohistochemistry.
- Interrogate RNA-seq and scRNA-seq data sets.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Molecular/Cell Biology, Genomics, Biochemistry, or related discipline with 1-4 years of hands on research experience in either an academic lab or company setting
- Prior experience with RT-qPCR and other basic molecular biology and biochemical techniques
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and a range of histology methods
- Experience with high-throughput sequencing at the molecular biology and/or data analysis level is highly desired; proficiency in R is a plus.
- You are highly competent at what you know, but you are also interested in learning new techniques and approaches. The ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently, to communicate effectively, and to build collaborative relationships is critical.
- We offer a dynamic start-up environment and a collaborative, passionate team
- Excellent benefits, including competitive employer contributions
- Stock options
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Shuttle service to/from Caltrain, BART and the SSF Ferry
- State of the art research facility complete with bowling alley and onsite gym (see the amenities available at The Cove)